Sunday, February 15, 2009

Faith & Hope in Trying Circumstances

For the past month we have been visiting and helping a wonderful sister, Ingrid Odor (o-door), who is here from the Caribbean island of Aruba. She is here for treatment of leukemia. Her husband was here for the first few weeks and now her daughter, Kristene, and grandson are here to look after and assist her. Unfortunately, Kristene contracted the flu and spent nearly a week fighting it. We spent time with her in Emergency last Sunday night. Today she came to church and is well again. Her mother is such a strong person, and is keeping high expectations in the face of unfavorable test results from the first chemo-therapy. She is being very positive and is not giving up. She is an example for all of us. It may take one or two more treatments to rid her of the disease. Her brother sent her some positive thoughts that she has printed out and reads frequently. We were impressed with them and wanted to share a few, which can buoy all of us up: "My healing thoughts are now going deep into my subconscious mind and bringing total and continuous healing to my body." "I know my healing is already in process. I now receive the treatment I need, in the perfect time, place and way for me." "I visualize what I want to do, and act as if I am already what I visualize." Whenever she can she talks out-loud to Heavenly Father. Since she is in a private room, she says, "I don't bother anyone when I pray, and they don't bother us." She is amazing and we love her. The Stake here had invited members to fast and pray for her sometime this week. We invite any and all of you that can to join us. Please also include our new friend, Teresa, who is an American woman who is also here from Aruba, and has a rare blood disease called amylodiosis. We spent some time with Teresa and her husband Sal yesterday, since they have not been able to get out of their quarters in the hospital guest home. They are shown with us in the picture above. A picture of Ingrid Odor is not available. We have also spent some time at the hospital with an investigator, who is also named Ingrid. We feel so blessed that we have this time that we can spend helping others. Missionary work has many different facets.

No comments: