Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Power of the Lord's Promises

We have had some great teaching experiences with the young Elders recently. We have talked with a wonderful man, who is very sincere and filled with the spirit. In the past week he has had discussions on the Word of Wisdom and Tithing. Both lessons were difficult for him. He wants to do what is right, but knows that it is not going to be easy. When we talked about tithing he said, "The amount that I have for food and other things, after bills, is the same amount that is asked of me for tithing, I don't see how that will be possible." Elder Buck told him that it was the Lord that was asking him to be obedient and pay tithing. He promised him that the Lord would bless him and it would be possible. We all bore testimony of the truth of the principle. Before we left he said, "I don't know how I am going to pay tithing and still eat, but I will do what the Lord asks so that I can be baptized." He then offered a wonderful prayer and we left. We all thought about him during the night. Then he called Elder Buck the next morning with more doubts. He was then assured and comforted that it was the right thing to do. Twenty minutes later, he called Elder Buck back and said, "I am sitting here with my mouth open in awe, my neighbor just called me and asked me to do some landscaping work for him. He offered to pay me more that the amount that I needed for food and tithing." He is also quitting smoking, which frees up more money. This was an amazing faith promoting experience for all of us. It was a great reminder that the Lord is mindful of all of us and that He is in charge. We appreciate your prayers for us and others that you do not know. We love the Lord and are so grateful for his blessings.

No comments: